Tuesday, August 15, 2006

More Fun in DC

Of course there are many other fun things to do in Washington besides visit the museums, but we don’t need to do any of those, because the kiddies would be happy to ride the Metro nonstop for 2 days. Actually, they wouldn’t want to ride it nonstop, they would like to switch trains and ride escalators and repeatedly use their farecards. Honestly, they would likely prefer a complete tour of the Metro system to another trip to the circus.

Fortunately for them, Auntie Erin lives near Woodley Park, which has a really long steep escalator, and even better was the stop at Dupont Circle which has an even longer, steeper escalator. I was attempting to delay Marty’s refusal to walk (a new development where he will declare himself too tired and squat down in the middle of the sidewalk, grocery store, public restroom, wherever we are, and then if I don’t pick him up he will lie down in that location until I am so disgusted I attempt to snatch him up before the cooties from the floor start crawling all over him. Since I do not want to develop a mighty hump, I have started to let him lie there and attempt to out wait him, a strategy that causes passersby to look at me with disdain, but eventually he does get up and come after me. Hopefully eventually he’ll stop lying down in the public walkways. For now I feel that I am providing a public service to all those people who like to think they have superior parenting skills…Where was I?) by pushing him in a faded, weathered, shabby $10 umbrella stroller that is rather uncooperative when it comes time to fold it up. So when we got to the Woodley Park station, we decided to take the elevator.

Five hours later, here’s what happened. When we returned home to the Woodley Park metro around 4:15, Marty was walking and I was completely sick of wrestling with the umbrella stroller, so we headed to the escalator, but on the way I noticed 2 police officers and a fire man standing by the elevator that had a “Out of Order” sign on it. Since I am so funny, I said to my sister, “Maybe people are trapped in there.” When we got to the street and saw 4 firetrucks, assorted police cars and an ambulance, I realized that I am not only hilarious but psychic.

I have not really let myself imagine what would have happened if we’d been the five people stuck on the elevator. I think it is fair to say that the kiddies would have sworn off elevators, the Metro, indoor areas, nighttime, and quite possibly my company if they had gone through an ordeal like that.

I will attribute our luck to the American History museum (not the crappy stroller). If the American History museum hadn’t been mostly shut down, we would not have made a quick run through the Natural History museum to look at the dinosaurs and might have made it home more quickly and found ourselves trapped. Clearly the planned renovation of the American History museum is already helping visitors to the big city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home